Best Epilator Reviews Guide – How to Find the Best Epilators!
Looking for the best epilator? You’ve come to the right place. On this website you’ll find detailed epilator reviews as well as tips on using epilators the right way.
Let’s start with the basics. What is an epilator and how exactly does it work? Unlike hair clippers or electric shavers that only trim away hair close to the surface of your skin, an epilator is a handheld device with rotating tweezer plates designed to pull out hair from the roots when rolled over your skin. Yes, it doesn’t cut hair. It uproots it completely. The end result? Much smoother skin than you can ever get with electric razors or clippers.
The effects are longer lasting as well. Your legs will be smooth and hair free for weeks on end. Like waxing, an epilator will give you baby smooth skin and there’s much less mess involved. You can epilate anytime and anywhere, even without water so its more convenient than wet shaving or waxing. The benefits of epilators are many and they are a hair removal tool that is proven to work extremely well for all women (and even men).
There are many types of epilators on the market today but they can generally be divided into two types: the body epilator and the facial hair epilator. The electric epilator is mainly used for your legs, bikini area, armpits and other areas of your body. The manual spring epilator is mainly used for the face and lip area because it requires more precision. Unlike the rotating metal tweezers seen in body epilators, some facial epilators are simply coil springs with two handles.
On this page, you’ll find a short buyer’s guide with tips on how to choose the best epilators. If you want to skip the buyers guide and jump right to my personal recommendations for the top epilators in the market right now, just click on this link.
Helpful Tips on Choosing the Best Epilators
There are many epilators on the market and all of them generally have the same features. But some epilators are better designed and will work better than others. In general, here are the important factors to consider when choosing the best epilator for your needs:
- Speed of epilation. It’s best to choose an epilator with an option to adjust the speed at which it operates. Different hairs warrant different epilation speeds, so it’s best to choose a device with an option to customize the hair pulling experience to the hairs you wish to pull. Faster speeds are required when thick hair is involved, and slower speeds are ideal for struggling with those thin hairs in hard-to-reach places. Bear in mind, a corded epilator can provide more speed and power than cordless epilators, especially if you take a long time to epilate.
- Where will you use the epilator? If you’re planning on epilating while traveling, choose a cordless battery-powered model. These travel epilators work using disposable or rechargeable batteries and are great if you are planning to use your epilator away from home. But if you’re going to only epilate at home and won’t be using it in the bath, a corded epilator is more than sufficient for your needs.
- How sensitive is your skin? Epilators with built-in skin protectors are great for those with sensitive skin. There are some epilators designed specifically for very sensitive skin and when used with epilator numbing gels/cream can really make the epilating experience more bearable (especially for first-timers).
- How will you use the epilator? If you’re planning to use an epilator in a delicate area such as the groin or underarms, try to find epilators with an additional shaving head. This way, you can actually trim your hair before epilating. If you’re using the epilator on your face, go for a specialized facial epilator. These types of epilators usually have a smaller epilating head with slower speed. Some might be completely manual and do not require electricity.
- What brand is the epilator? Let’s face it. The brand does matter when it comes to buying quality epilators. You should always purchase an epilator made by a company with a history of producing excellent epilators and other hair removal products. Avoid no-name brands even if they are cheaper because they are likely to be poorly designed. Well-established and trusted epilator brands include Epilady (the original epilator manufacturer), Philips, Braun, and Emjoi.
An epilator can be a life-changing purchase for us ladies. Once you start epilating and keep at it, you will NEVER go back to shaving or waxing again because you’ll see amazing results. Yes, epilators can be painful at first but trust me, it gets a lot easier once after you do it regularly for a while. Your body gets used to the pain and you won’t even be bothered by it anymore. Ask anyone who has used epilators for a while and they’ll tell you the same.
Now if you’re looking for the best epilator out there, check out my honest reviews of epilators for help on deciding on which epilator to buy. Click here to read my best epilator reviews right now!
Best Epilator for Women – Overall Winner
Braun 5270 Silk-épil X’elle Body System Epilator. This particular epilator is legendary and superb in many ways. Featuring active massage rollers that stimulate your skin with micro pulsations and a small light to make sure you don’t miss a spot, the Braun 5270 Silk-epil is a well-balanced, ergonomically designed epilator that’s hugely popular with both new and experienced epilator users alike. It has worked marvelously for me and its priced at an affordable $60 now.
Click here to read my review of the Braun 5270 Silk-épil or you can just buy it directly from Amazon.com at a 20% discount now.
Best Epilator for Sensitive Skin
Panasonic ES2067W Epilglide Ultra Epilator. This funky epilator has an interesting design that sets it apart from all the other epilators on the market. It uses three 360 degree spinning heads instead of just one large foiler roiler head. It can be used both wet/dry and has a patented skin protector system for less pain and irritation. It claims to cover more area with less time but I didn’t find it to be much faster than other epilators.
What I particularly liked was how this epilator was really gentle on my skin. The 360 spinning heads don’t yank hair up as harshly as other epilators. While it may not be perfect, I personally think its the best epilator for people with extremely sensitive skin. If you don’t mind pain in general and don’t bruise easily, the Braun 5270 (see above) might be a better option.
Best Cordless Epilator
Emjoi Soft Caress Hair Remover. There’s a lot to like about the Emjoi Soft Caress. It has 24 karat gold-plated hypoallergenic tweezers. Fantastic ergonomic design and shape which makes it very easy to maneuver around your body, especially around the bikini line and armpit area. It’s soft-rubber grip makes it comfortable to use for long periods. Has the option of being corded or cordless, which is very convenient. It also uses rechargeable instead of disposable batteries, which helps you save money. Last but not least, it has a great rotating speed and I love how FAST it plucks out my hair. Definitely will help you save on time.
Click here to read my full review of the Emjoi Soft Caress Hair Remover or you can buy it now at a 28% discount on Amazon.com.
Best Epilator for Men
Emjoi AP-18 Emagine Epilator. Why is this the best epilator for men? Because men have thicker and coarser hair that’s more stubborn. The Emjoi AP-18 has a 72 tweezer head, which is substantially more than most epilators which only have 30 to 40 tweezers. This is a pretty powerful epilator and it has a special technology which lifts flat and short hairs, trimming hair from the root as short as 0.5 millimeters. It also is the first ever epilator to use Silver Ion Technology which offers antimicrobial protection while epilating, useful for active men (and women).
Click here to see my review of the Emjoi AP-18 Emagine Epilator or you can simply buy it from Amazon.com at 33% discount right now.